A bacon sandwich generates 1.5 times more CO2e than apple and pecan porridge, and a full English breakfast generates 5.3 times more CO2e.
From Jamie Oliver
- 160 grams rolled oats
- 600 milliliters organic soya milk
Apple & pecan topping
- 30 grams unsalted pecans
- 1 eating apple
- Maple syrup
- For the basic porridge, place the oats and the milk (or 600ml water) into a large pan over a medium heat, and add a tiny pinch of sea salt.
- Bring to a steady simmer for 5 to 6 minutes, stirring often to give you a smooth, creamy porridge, and loosening with extra milk, if needed.
- Serve as is, or while it’s blipping away in the pan, follow the next steps to prepare the apple and pecan topping.
- Snap the pecans up into little pieces, then toast in a small dry non-stick frying pan over a medium heat for 3 to 4 minutes, or until lightly golden.
- Remove the apple stalk then use a box grater to coarsely grate it onto a chopping board (core and all).
- Stir the grated apple and a little maple syrup through then porridge then divide between bowls.
- Scatter the pecans on top then drizzle with a little extra maple syrup, if you like.