A sumptuous plant-based version of the well-loved Middle Eastern classic.
- 4 aubergines, sliced
- 3 tbsp vegetable oil
- Black pepper, to taste
- 4 sweet potatoes
- 1 red onion
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 2 tbsp tomato puree
- 100 g cooked red lentils
- 100 g cooked green lentils
- 100 g cooked yellow split peas
- 1 tin chopped tomatoes
- 200 g calcium-set firm tofu
- 100 g soya yoghurt (plain and fortified)
- Crunchy pepper and tomato salad, to serve
- Brush the sliced aubergines with a small amount of oil and season. Place onto lined baking sheets and bake in the oven on a high heat until coloured and soft.
- Microwave or roast the sweet potatoes in their skins until cooked and soft. Remove the skins, mash the potatoes and season. Press down into the base of an ovenproof dish.
- Heat the remaining oil in a large saucepan, add the onion and cook until soft and tender. Add the garlic and cook for a further 1 minute. Add the dried thyme and oregano along with the tomato puree and cook for 2 minutes. Add the cooked lentils and split peas with the chopped tomatoes. Bring to a simmer and cook to reduce to a thick sauce.
- Spoon some of the lentil mix over the sweet potatoes and top this with a layer of aubergine slices. Repeat this to form layers.
- Blend together the tofu with the soya yoghurt until smooth, and season. Pour the tofu mix over the moussaka and cover evenly.
- Bake in the oven on a medium heat for 30 minutes until the top is coloured and golden.
- Serve with a crunchy pepper and tomato salad.
TIP: Look for calcium in the ingredients list of your tofu
Nutritional analysis per serving (1/4 recipe)
|Kcal||Carbs (g)||Fibre (g)||Protein (g)||Fat (g)||Saturates (g)||Sugars (g)||Salt (g)|