Beefy Mushroom Stew
- 1 red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 carrot, peeled and sliced
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 tsp yeast extract or miso paste
- 1 tbsp tomato purée (paste)
- 300g/10½oz portobello mushrooms, roughly chopped
- 200g/7oz mixed mushrooms, such as shiitake or chestnut (cremini), sliced
- 2 tbsp plain (all-purpose) flour
- 350ml/12fl oz (1½ cups) vegetable stock
- 1 x 390g/13¾oz can of green lentils, drained and rinsed
- a large handful of baby spinach, washed
- 1 large head cauliflower, broken into florets
- 2 tbsp dairy-free butter
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- a small pinch of ground turmeric (optional)
- 4 tbsp unsweetened dairy-free milk
- a small handful of chives, chopped
- sea salt and ground black pepper
- Add the oil to a large frying pan over a medium heat and sauté the onion, carrot and garlic for 5 minutes, until softened. Add the vinegar, yeast extract or miso paste, tomato purée and mushrooms and cook for 10 minutes.
- Stir in the flour until fully incorporated, then pour in the vegetable stock. Bring to the boil, then reduce the heat and simmer for a further 15 minutes, until the stew is rich and thick.
- Stir in the lentils and spinach, allowing the spinach to wilt for a minute in the pan.
- While the stew is cooking, make the cauliflower mash. Bring a medium saucepan of water to the boil and place a colander on top. Add the cauliflower florets to the colander and put a lid on top. Steam for10 minutes, or until they are very soft.
- Drain the pan and add the butter and garlic. Fry over a medium heat for 2 minutes, then stir in the cauliflower. Season with salt and pepper, add the turmeric, if using, and add half of the milk. Mash well with a potato masher, or use a stick blender for a smoother texture, adding more milk if needed. Stir in the chopped chives.
Serves 4-6 / Approximate cost* per portion: £1.10
Recipe taken from Great British Vegan by Aimee Ryan, White Lion Publishing.
*Approximate cost based on 6 portions and calculated using average prices from three main supermarket retailers in the UK. Price data accurate as of December 2021.