- 1 butternut squash, deseeded and sliced into thin semi rounds
- 6 shallots, peeled and halved
- 1 carrot, peeled and thinly sliced into rounds
- 1 celery stick, thinly sliced
- 6 baby potatoes, halved
- 4 tbsp pearl barley
- ½ tsp dried sage
- 200ml (generous ¾ cup) red wine (ensure vegan)
- 200ml (generous ¾ cup) hot vegetable stock
- 1 bay leaf
- generous pinch of sea
- salt and black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/350°F/gas mark 4.
- Arrange the squash, shallots, carrot, celery and potatoes in a deep roasting pan. Scatter over the pearl barley and dried sage.
- Pour in the red wine and vegetable stock so the pearl barley is covered, and tuck in the bay leaf.
- Loosely cover with foil, then bake in the oven for 20 minutes. After 20 minutes, carefully remove the foil and stir.
- Increase the oven temperature to 200°C/400°F/gas mark 6 and cook for a further 1 hour, uncovered.
- Remove from the oven and season to taste with salt and pepper.
Serve with crusty bread for dipping into the herby red wine sauce.
Serves 4 / Approximate cost* per portion: £1.72
Recipe taken from Vegan Roasting Pan by Katy Beskow (Quadrille, £15). Photography ©Luke Albert.
*Approximate cost calculated using average prices from three main supermarket retailers in the UK. Price data accurate as of December 2021.