- 8 ounces rice-stick noodles (rice vermicelli)
- 1 large onion, quartered and thinly sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup baby carrots, halved (if thin) or quartered lengthwise
- 1 red bell pepper, cut into narrow, 2-inch-long strips
- 1 green bell pepper, cut into narrow, 2-inch-long strips
- 1 tablespoon neutral vegetable oil, such as safflower oil
- 1 (8-ounce) package baked tofu, cut into narrow strips
- 1 cup frozen green peas, thawed
- ¼ cup soy sauce or tamari
- 1 teaspoon natural granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons good-quality curry powder
- 2 teaspoons grated fresh or squeezebottle ginger, to taste
1. Combine all the ingredients for the sauce with ¼ cup of water in a small bowl, then whisk together. Set aside until needed.
2. Cook the noodles according to the package directions, then drain. Transfer to a cutting board and chop in several directions to shorten.
3. Meanwhile, prepare the vegetables as directed before beginning to stir-fry.
4. Heat the oil in a large skillet or stir-fry pan. Add the onions, garlic, and carrots, and stir-fry over medium-high heat for 4 minutes. Add the red and green bell peppers and tofu strips and stir-fry for 3 to 4 minutes longer.
5. Add the cooked noodles to the pan, along with the sauce and peas. Toss quickly and stir-fry just until everything is well heated through. Serve at once.
Serves 4 / Approximate cost* per portion: £1.27
Recipe taken from Vegan on a Budget by Nava Atlas (Sterling Publishing).
*Approximate cost calculated using average prices from three main supermarket retailers in the UK. Price data accurate as of December 2021.