Thai Noodle Salad
A fresh and vibrant Thai noodle salad that’s super cheap to make and packed with healthy ingredients. Zesty, and rich in umami with a hint of chilli. This recipe is from The Vegan Punks.
- 4 x nests wholewheat noodles
- 3 spring onions (~50g) – finely sliced
- 250g carrots – grated
- 2 x red pepper – finely sliced
- 80g peanuts – crushed or roughly chopped
- ¼ cup fresh coriander (~10g) – roughly chopped
For the dressing:
- 2 garlic – minced
- 1 tbsp fresh ginger – minced
- 1 tsp chilli flakes
- 3 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 lime – zest & juice
- Bring a small pan of water to boil and cook the noodles according to the packet instructions. Once cooked, drain and rinse with cold water to cool them and stop them sticking together.
- While the noodles cook, add the dressing ingredients to a jar and shake to mix (alternatively just mix in a bowl).
- Chuck all the ingredients in a large mixing bowl, pour the dressing over and then toss until well mixed together.
Total cost: £2.96
Per portion cost: 74p
- 4 x nests wholewheat noodles – ~67p
- 3 spring onions (~50g) – ~25p
- 250g carrots – ~12p
- 2 x red pepper – ~86p
- 80g peanuts – ~19p
- ¼ cup fresh coriander (~10g) – ~18p
- 2 garlic – ~5p
- 1 tbsp fresh ginger – ~17.5p
- 1 tsp chilli flakes – ~10p
- 3 tbsp soy sauce – ~16.5p
- 1 lime – ~20p
*All recipes have been developed with a target of no more than £1 per portion. Ingredients were primarily sourced from Aldi, with a couple of ingredients sourced from Sainsbury’s or Tesco where Aldi didn’t stock them. Prices were all valid as of June/July 2022.
Ingredients were either bought in exact quantities required for the recipe, or in the smallest quantity available to ensure prices weren’t artificially low through bulk buying.