Trusted vegan labelling by the Vegan Trademark.
The Vegan Trademark has been helping people identify that a product is free from animal ingredients since 1990. Registration with the trademark gives brands the confidence to shout about their vegan credentials. Look out for the Vegan Trademark on over 60,000 products worldwide, including cosmetics, clothing, food, drink, household items, and many more!
Globally trusted registrations
- Did you know over 88% of vegans and vegetarians look for independent vegan verification on fashion and textiles, and that the Vegan Trademark is the most recognised globally?
- The Vegan Trademark can be found on over 2,500 fashion products, making us the leader in bespoke vegan product registrations.
Leave it to the experts
- Stay focused on what you do best—creating products! Leave the hard work of vegan verification to us.
- Our vegan team at The Society ensure we always uphold the highest standards of quality.
- Let us become your partner in all things vegan - we work with you as the authority on third party vegan accreditation.
Simple and guided process
- Our dedicated team helps every step of the way.
- We tailor quotes to company size and the number of products.
- We register products, which allows non-vegan brands to grow with us.
- No cost surprises in choosing us. We include product updates and additions within your product package.
Vegan market insights
- The most trusted global charity for all things vegan - we have popular vegan channels to promote your products to.
- Our network of vegan publications, PR, and other vegan charities allows for joint launch campaigns.
- Gain access to a wealth of knowledge, market insights and exposure you won’t find anywhere else.
- Access to relevant marketing opportunities in our Toolkit, helping you promote your products once registered.
Want to know more about Vegan Trademark benefits? Watch our webinar.
 Attest consumer survey for The Vegan Society - (‘Consumer Purchasing Habits’) of 1000 UK adults and 1000 USA adults – conducted between 22 February and 3 March 2021 (online)
The Vegan Trademark is the authentic international vegan standard and is managed by The Vegan Society; the charity that created the word 'vegan' back in 1944. Our dedicated and experienced vegan team check each product application against the below criteria, working with manufacturers and suppliers across a range of fields to ensure that each product meets the highest vegan standards. The Vegan Trademark is renewed on a yearly basis to ensure we have the most up to date information all the products we certify.
The Vegan Society understands the word 'animal' to refer to the entire animal kingdom. That is all vertebrates and all multicellular invertebrates. 'Animal' can refer to a species or an individual; and is used as a noun or an adjective, as required. Unless otherwise stated, it usually means non-human animals.
The manufacture and/or development of the product, and its ingredients, must not involve or have involved, the use of any animal product, by-product or derivative. Some examples:
- PU at first glance may seem vegan. However, in order to keep costs down some manufactures will use a finishing spray which contains ground up leather to give it a more 'authentic' look.
- Metals (buckles, zips, buttons, etc.) - metals may sometimes be treated with an anticorrosive agent. These agents can contain oils and lubricants derived from animals.
The development and/or manufacture of the product, and its ingredients, must not involve or have involved, testing of any sort on animals conducted at the initiative of the company or on its behalf, or by parties over whom the company has effective control.
An example you may not know - Glues and dyes may be subject to animal testing to determine if the product is safe for human contact. This may include BCOP, ICE, HETCAM or even testing to see they are harmful to aqueous life and tests can be performed on multi-cellular invertebrates such daphnia.
We ask for the awareness of the risk of cross-contamination from non-vegan sources on production lines, and that the Trademark holder takes all reasonable and practical steps to eliminate this. For example, if you are unable to provide separate lines for production, you could run through your vegan products first and give your line a good clean down at the end of the day.
Registering with the Vegan Trademark
Our experienced officers will guide you through the four-step process of registering your products with the Vegan Trademark.
You can apply now to get started or fill out a simple enquiry form to talk to a member of our team.
If you have an update to a product already registered with us or would like to add more products to your portfolio, you can send over an enquiry here.
Step 1 - Start your application
Click 'Get in touch' and provide your company information
Get a quote
If you are unsure, you can always ask a question.
Step 2 - Review and pay
You are allocated a Trademark Officer
Pay for services
Complete product documentation
Step 3 - Audit review
Trademark Officer checks the products ingredients
Work with your officer on any queries
Step 4 - Finish registration
Sign and return the Licence Agreement
Receive your Certificate of Registration
Use the Vegan Trademark on your packaging and in your marketing
Use our Marketing Toolkit
We register any company that produces vegan-friendly products. We aim to make the Vegan Trademark accessible to everyone whose products fit our specific criteria. This includes products containing no animal ingredients, vegan processing aids used in manufacturing, and ingredients that have never been tested on animals on behalf of the manufacturer.
We offer a unique product checking service, with years of experience, to ensure that your product’s vegan claim is valid and authentic. As the charity that coined the term vegan, we are the experts in this field.
Our Vegan Trademark holders benefit in a multitude of ways. From credible brand awareness, market insights, and access to the vegan community to discounted advertising opportunities, social media promotion, competitions, and product exposure at events.
Need to know more about the benefits of working with the Vegan Trademark? Watch our webinar.
Our experienced officers will guide you through the four-step process of registering your products with the Vegan Trademark. If you'd like more details about registering with us, please watch our Introduction Webinar
Select the 'Apply now' tab to get started or if you need some help, choose the 'Ask a question' tab.
The Vegan Society sees excellent value in registering products instead of companies. We've found that it encourages companies to further develop and improve the labelling on vegan options in their wider portfolio of products.
By encouraging the development of vegan options, and improving the labelling on suitable products, we have helped to make a vegan lifestyle even more accessible, appealing and often more affordable, too. In turn, registration further promotes 'vegan' as a household name.
It is important to note that The Vegan Society does not endorse whole companies. We only register individual products. Often, companies will also sell products that contain animal-derived ingredients in their ranges. We encourage all individuals to make informed choices about companies that they wish to support.
We offer the option of a 12 or 24 month licence.
Supermarket licences are usually set at 12 months to support the high turnover of products.
As many as you want! There's no limit.
Please allow between 30 and 60 working days. This is dependent on the complexity of your application and the efficiency of communication channels.
If you have any deadlines, please let us know and we will always do our best to work with you to meet these. We are happy to work directly with your suppliers on the registration.