- olive oil
- 1 onion, peeled + grated
- 2 carrots, grated
- 4 garlic cloves, peeled + grated
- 1 x 400g tin of chickpeas, rinsed + drained
- 1 x 400g tin of green lentils, rinsed + drained
- 3/4 cup panko breadcrumbs
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 2 tbsp tomato purée
- 150g mixed nuts, finely chopped
- 1.5 tbsp oregano
- 1.5 tsp fennel seeds
- salt + pepper
- 120g ketchup
- 1/2 tsp balsamic
- Preheat the oven to 200°C fan and line the base and sides of a 2lb loaf tin with baking paper.
- Next, drizzle a little olive oil in a frying pan on a medium heat. Once hot add the onion and carrot and fry for 5 minutes.
- Next add the garlic to the frying pan and fry for 3 minutes.
- Meanwhile add the chickpeas and lentils to a large mixing bowl and mash with a potato masher or fork until mostly broken down.
- Add the panko breadcrumbs, soy sauce, tomato puree, mixed nuts, oregano, fennel seeds and generous pinches of salt to the bowl along with the fried carrot mixture from earlier and stir to combine.
- Transfer the meatloaf mixture to the lined loaf tin.
- In a separate bowl combine the ketchup with the balsamic vinegar and spread it over the top of the meatloaf. Bake for 25-35 minutes.
- Leave the meatloaf to rest in the tin for at least 5 minutes before you remove it so that it holds its shape.
Recipe credit to SO VEGAN.
*Approximate cost calculated using average prices from three main supermarket retailers in the UK. Price data accurate as of December 2021.