Make all the children happy at the party with this cracker of a chocolate cake.
- 200g self raising wholemeal flour
- 2 heaped tsp baking powder
- 25g cocoa
- 75g Barbados sugar
- 100ml vegetable oil
- 550-750ml cold water
- 1 bar vegan plain chocolate
- Place all ingredients except chocolate in food processor. Mix thoroughly for a few seconds.
- Place mixture in greased tin and bake for 30 mins at 180C, 350F or gas mark 4 in two round cake tins.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool a little before removing from tin. Remove from tin and cool completely on wire rack.
- Melt bar of chocolate in a double bowl and spread on top of cake. Allow to set overnight for best results.
- Mix icing sugar with a little hot water to a soft consistency. Ice top of the cake with HAPPY BIRTHDAY or decorate with vegan chocolate buttons.
This recipe can either be made as described, or used as a basis for creative birthday cake making e.g. bake in a round tin and decorate with coloured icing to make a clown's face. Vegan cakes can be as imaginative and exciting as any non-vegan counterpart!