Our aims and objectives
What do we want? Simple: a world where humans do not exploit non-human animals. A world where animals are free to exist in their own right. We promote a lifestyle that excludes, as far as possible and practical, all forms of exploitation of - and cruelty to - animals for the purposes of food, clothing or anything else.
We also want a just world for humans. A world where resources are utilised in a sustainable way to ensure all current and future generations are provided for - a world where no one goes hungry. At the heart of the sustainability and food justice agenda is plant-based food production and consumption: veganism.
How we're going to achieve this
The Vegan Society's mission is to make veganism mainstream.
We're working tirelessly to make veganism an easily-adopted and widely-recognised approach to reducing animal suffering and environmental damage. We do so through peaceful and factual dialogue with individuals, organisations and businesses.
We achieve this vision and mission by providing information, supporting and advising individuals and health professionals, caterers, manufacturers, and influencing policy makers. We also fund vegan initiatives set up by members and supporters, and work with volunteers and partners towards making our vision a reality. We work with the media to help reinforce a positive view of veganism and to help a larger audience see that veganism is a rewarding, enjoyable and viable lifestyle.
Our long-term goals
1. Improved vegan catering, nutrition, education and agriculture; encouraging government, public and private sector bodies to adopt and reward sustainable, healthy and compassionate lifestyles.
2. Greatly increase the number of people trying veganism and remaining vegan, because they believe that:
- Animals have a right to life and freedom
- Animal exploitation also negatively affects human justice (global food distribution issues, etc)
- Animal farming is not sustainable and is severely damaging to the environment
- Balanced vegan nutrition is healthy.
Ambitious but achievable goals that will ultimately make a huge difference to the future of animals, the planet and us. Here's to a brighter future for all.